Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Juno

I have no idea why I decided to watch the movie when I was bored and depressed after having screwed up my viva, but I'm glad I did! It really did cheer me up.

The story is about a 16 year old girl, Juno(named after the Greek goddess), who gets pregnant but decides not to get it aborted and gives it up for adoption instead. Period.

The best part of the movie is how light a serious subject is treated. Though, I think, a few parts are a little unrealistic. For example, the parent's reaction when she tells them. I can't imagine any parent taking it so well!

The movie, of course, has a happy ending. Juno seems to have no trouble at all coming back to her normal life (!!!!!) and playing in a band. Her acting, I must say, was terrific. Clueless, very teenagey and yet mature.

But my favorite part of the movie - apart from the lingo (it's the kinda stuff you can listen to for days) - is the background score. Good stuff. If anyone knows where I can get the soundtracks, please let me know. It's not avaiable on the LAN.

Definately a movie I would recommend.

12 comments:

Aquila said...

Hey! Experienced the Juno thing day before yesterday. I loved the first song especially. will try getting my hands on the music. For all the jobless people reading comments: a must-watch, feel-good, chick flick! :)

Satyaki Roy said...

you are weirder than me... i just did that test... mine came to 103...

Spica said...

@aquila: Chick flick? Aaaargh.. you prob. put half the readers off the movie with that!

@Indulgence dude: I'll that that as a compliment :-)

Vinod Pillai said...

Chick Flick? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Vinod Pillai said...

my weird quotient was 113... what did u do to get 127?

Spica said...

@aq: aq(???) It ain't a chick flick.. And well, i was just being myself! ;-)

fogdude said...

You can get if off the torrent sites, the official soundtrack.

I didn't anything artificial in the movie. That scene where she tells her parents was particularly good. You can see her father later asking his wife whether it was his upbringing to be blamed. They show her parents are not judgmental as the movie progresses but those at her school start giving her the 'squint eye'. :)

And hey, they won't just give away an Oscar just like that for an original screenplay.

Spica said...

@fogdude(and everyone else): I got the soundtracks. A friend sent it to me the day after I put up the post. Thanks a lot :-)

And you will notice, I said unrealistic - not artificial. I just find it hard to beleive that a family like that would react the way they did! Cool parents, I must say..

Roshan George said...

I just saw this link What if Juno was 10 times shorter and 100 times more honest

Aquila said...

Sheesh! I apologise. Though chick flicks can have strong and sarcastic female leads! And in my defense, it does deal with a chick handling chick issues. But I agree, the label can be derogatory.

Uma said...

there was a hindi film like this in which preiti zinta acted

Spica said...

@umakumar: If you're talking about Salaam namaste, no, it's nothing like that!