Friday, March 21, 2008

Lost in translation

I was really looking forward to watching this movie. Epecially since about 10 people kept urging me to. Which is why I reserved it for a thursday before a 3 day weekend. But at the end of the movie, my only reaction was "huh?"!

The movie didn't (and continues not to) make any sense. I didn't get the point the director was trying to make. If he was trying to make a point, that is.. I don't think it was "another episode in so and so's life" kind of a movie, either. It wasn't a depiction of life in Tokyo, either. Nor was it about forbidden love affair. It wasn't even a honest combination of the above!

The story's about a famous american actor, Bob Marley who goes to Tokyo to advertise a drink. He's also facing mid-life crises and part of the reason he comes here is because he wants to get away from home. He finds himself utterly bored in this new city where noone speaks his language. He shoots for the commercial in the mornings and hangs out in a bar all evening. That's where he meets Charlotte, a young american girl who's married (for 2 years) and is in Tokyo with her husband who is here on some project. She is really depressed. I never did understand the reason. Her husband leaves to another town for a few days and she gets friendly with Bob. The rest of the story is about how they manage to enjoy themselves in a city they both have come to hate.

But it didn't make any sense. Everyone hates a new city when they go there for the first time. Then you make friends and start loving it. Was this the point? Well, then it wasn't potrayed well. Especially since towards the end he doesn't love the city, but her. Yet he leaves the place and goes away. Not in a heroic way, either..

Another thing which sruck me about the movie was the way Charlotte's husband loves her. He's all over her and is stuck on her completely even though they've been married two years. Whcih guy does that, tell me?

Why am i obsessing over this movie? Because, i was told, by many, that it's a really great movie.. Yet, I can't see where the greatness lies.

Maybe I just don't understand movies.

Sigh..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was quite charming and had some amazingly understated performances from the lead actors. Yes, it was quite frustrating at times when one felt left out on the 'secret'.

P.S. */ puts on his best mr.anonymous voice
It was bob harris :D and a SHE directed the movie, sofia coppolla.

Spica said...

@ Sid.. (what?): :-) My excuse is.. I'm bad with names! :-P

Roshan George said...

Bob Marley?! They resurrected the Jah throne musician to sell coloured water in Tokyo? The horror.

Satyaki Roy said...

How could you not love that film?
1. It was not 'depiction of life in tokyo'. It was a fantastic account of modern day Japan.
2. It was not at all about forbidden love. Love is just the subtext.
3. She is depressed cause she has nothing to do. Just nothing to do. Extreme boredom induced depression. Even calling it depression is debatable.
4. Its not about hating a city. Its about cultural and linguistic gap. Its about how so much life is lost in translation. The phrase as a metaphor has taken the world after this film. Its one of the most beautiful films I have seen.

Spica said...

@roshan: That, at any rate would've been interesting..

@satyaki: I'm sorry.. I just didn't get it. My apologies..