Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The night before the wedding.

One evening Marilla, coming in from the orchard with a basket of apples, found Anne sitting along by the east window in the twilight, crying bitterly.

"Whatever's the matter now, Anne?" she asked.

"It's about Diana," sobbed Anne luxuriously. "I love Diana so, Marilla. I cannot ever live without her. But I know very well when we grow up that Diana will get married and go away and leave me. And oh, what shall I do? I hate her husband--I just hate him furiously. I've been imagining it all out--the wedding and everything--Diana dressed in snowy garments, with a veil, and looking as beautiful and regal as a queen; and me the bridesmaid, with a lovely dress too, and puffed sleeves, but with a breaking heart hid beneath my smiling face. And then bidding Diana goodbye-e-e--" Here Anne broke down entirely and wept with increasing bitterness.


- Anne(12) in Anne of Green Gables


"It's all pretty much as I used to imagine it long ago, when I wept over your inevitable marriage and our consequent parting," she laughed. "You are the bride of my dreams, Diana, with the `lovely misty veil'; and I am YOUR bridesmaid. But, alas! I haven't the puffed sleeves -- though these short lace ones are even prettier. Neither is my heart wholly breaking nor do I exactly hate Fred."

- Anne(21) in Anne of the Island

12 comments:

LP said...

:), Have a rocking time at the wedding and be sure to pass on my best wishes to the couple for a happily ever after :)

Vasu said...

:)

I can relate quite well to the post.
I want to go back to school *groans*

I miss it all so much after reading this.

Aquila said...

Anne. :)

Aquila said...

with a 'e' of course.

Spica said...

@lp: I will, but i guess, she'll end up reading your comments herself eventually, so... :-)

@Vasu: Me too!!!! :-( though, er.. forgive me for asking, but what does this post have to do with school?

@Aquila: But, of course!

Chicken Little said...

I always thought Anne sounded slightly gay. Give Mathi my best!

Spica said...

@Chicken: She will. of course, not be talking to you considering you didn't come!

Anonymous said...

Whoa !! *bows*

Spica said...

@ Sido: * grins *

Girl of Destiny said...

well.... touched.

Girl of Destiny said...

and, thnx to Ip.

Spica said...

@ GoD : (Did you notice that was the acronym??) That's all I get? "touched"?? Sheesh!