Saturday, March 28, 2009

The request.

I wonder if any of you have bothered to read what is written on the front page of an Indian passport. Wanting to do anything other than study for my quiz, I recently flipped it open and this is what it says:

"These are to request and require in the name of the president of the Republic of India all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and toafford him or her, every assistance and protection of which he or she may stand in need."

Isn't that sweet?

So, next time they refuse you a visa, remember, they aren't just refusing you. They're refusing the president's request. (I just realised president means Ms.Patil and there goes my vision of a strong leader heading our republic.)

Only I didn't know that we are called "Republic of India"! I mean, I knew we were a republic, of course, but I didn't know that was the name of our country. Why are we listed under 'I' then?

Also, does anyone know why all official sentences are so long without much punctuation?

11 comments:

Roshan George said...

What about the 'require' part? See what I mean about physicists and accuracy!

We're also a 'federal' republic which is pretty damn cool. That's why Delhi can have a drinking age of 25 while in Maharashtra you can drink at 21. Neat, no?

Anonymous said...

lol, neat.. and no affordable 'phoren' alcohol in madras if i might add.

ess said...

I just realised president means Ms.Patil and there goes my vision of a strong leader heading our republic

You obviously haven't seen the photo where she's all smiles, holding an assault rifle!


http://origin.photogallery.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3067041.cms

Spica said...

Delhi has a drinking age of 25??

And Ess,I saw the pic. Very inspiring indeed. :-P

ess said...

Of course it is! If Hamas can trot out pictures of 6 year olds dressed up as suicide bombers, the least we can do is show grandmas as counter-terrorist agents!

And official sentences have to be long. Otherwise people might actually understand what they're trying to say.

Roshan George said...

ess: Six-year-old Palestinian suicide bomber? That's horrible. Link?

And ha ha ha about the official sentences.

Vinod Pillai said...

Ms. Patil? Last i heard she was still Mrs. Patil.

Roshan George said...

Boy, are you asking for it.

Spica said...

He is. And he got it also!

TheMobilePhotog said...

my my.. who the hell came up with that disclaimer sort of thing..

Spica said...

Subash: Which disclaimer?