Thursday, April 09, 2009

No more Mr. Nice Guy

Chicken Little recently said "Being nice is extremely under-rated and rare. And outdated".

Yet it a 'nice guy' that every mother wants for her daughter; every sibling for their sister and every person for their friend. A nice guy is what every grandparent blesses their grand kids with and every girl hopes for when she is 10! Then why is it, that the minute she turns 18, she does an about turn and looks for everything except nice in the man she seeks?!

Save a handful, I find that I do not approve of the guys my bestfriends/friends/acquaintances are dating. Not because these guys aren't 'well-settled' or good-looking (my friends are pretty wise to those!), but because (I feel) they don't treat these girls the way they should be!

Every girl I know, has gone for a guy who is dashing, plays slightly hard to get, is flirty and has 'attitude'. Put 'em together and what have you got? Your mother's nightmare!

These otherwise smart and sucessful young ladies are blind to the fact that these guys are the ones most likely to break their heart and the least likely to help them build the home they dreamt of when they were 10 - which, lets face it, is what every girl still wants!

The truth being, these nice guys do exist. I have met them, even befriended a few of them. And while doing so, I realise that is highly unlikely that they will ever get the attention of the kind of girls who deserve them simply because they will not take the risk! These boys will probably end up marrying some lucky girl who their mommy picks out for them!

That is not to say, all hope is lost. Break-throughs have happened in the past and are quite likely to happen again! And if that does happen to you, I paraphrase the second part of what Chicken Little said and advise you: "Hold on to that one."

23 comments:

Vasu said...

I like 1. Your label.
2. The chicken little quote.
3. How this week has been revolving around the same message through different mediums!
4. The ironic precision of your words!!!

:)

Roshan George said...

"I realise that is highly unlikely that they will ever get the attention of the kind of girls who deserve them simply because they will not take the risk!"

Boy do I know that feeling. Maybe these nice guys are just wusses. How about that theory?

Anonymous said...

'Mommy' - i knew there was a missing link !!

Abhi said...

"These boys will probably end up marrying some lucky girl who their mommy picks out for them!"

So, at least there's some hope still alive! :)

Aquila said...

Hehehe. Nice quote. One always wishes (wistfully) for the ungettable combination of sweet and spicy. I think we need to shake off both 10 year old dreams and 20 year old fantasies, and just.. get on with it, you know? :)

Aquila said...

ugh. that sounds so sick. 'sweet and spicy'?? what was i thinking? but you know what i meant. :) and i still stand by the 'get on with it' bit.

Spica said...

Vasu: Thank you. Thank you ver' much. And well, chicken little was always one for quotes! And other mediums, really? A few instances would be nice..

RG: I know you do. But I also happen to know that that's not because you are Mr.Nice guy! :-P
P.S: You confide in me too much!

Sido and Abhi (and RG): Why do you instantly assume that you fall under the category of 'nice guys'?? Abhi, I don't know you, but the other two - far from it, mon freres. Far far from it. ;-)

Aquila: Aww.. don't give up just yet. Like I said, it's not completely impossible, you know!

Nikita said...

such a sensible post! i am glad the not-so-nice guy in my life is now out of it. :)

Spica said...

Nikita: Thank you! And good you've reached a place where you know exactly who he is! :-)

Roshan George said...

Spica: Ha, you wouldn't know a nice guy if he hit you in the face :P

Abhi said...

I believe its a safe assumption to make! :D

Spica said...

RG: All I say to you is: "Oh, really?"

Abhi:The more you comment, the less I'm convinced of that! ;-P

PI said...

when other people fall for the not-so-nice guys,i can instantly see what's so wrong about him.however,i can't deny the attraction factor.most nice guys i know are...very nice,but well..i dunno...something's lacking.
(also,my own choice is so bad,if i like a guy,alarm bells start ringing in my head :P)
and don't let abhi fool u :P

ess said...

Every girl I know, has gone for a guy who is dashing, plays slightly hard to get, is flirty and has 'attitude'

In other words, a male bitch. You're right, that goes for most women I know. Why do they do it? They aren't being fair to themselves. And it isn't fair to the nice guys either :)

And Roshan, if the guy did hit you in the face he wouldn't exactly be a nice guy, would he?

Abhi said...

@spica: well, a data point as small as a chat comment shouldn't be used to make a judgement!

@pseudo: mere mein kya burai/kami hai? :P ;)

Spica said...

Pseudo: I know what you mean. These days, before i so much as check out a guy, I get a dozen friends to gimme the 'ok'

Ess: I agree. It isn't. And it isn't fair to the girls either!

Abhi: Well, that's all the data I have to go by for now..

Vinod Pillai said...

Hmmm. So which guy did you check out?

Spica said...

Not that it's any of your business, but this Chinky looking guy.. :-P

TheMobilePhotog said...

Well said.. its good to see a lady's perspective of this topic.. and long life the TN family tradition for rewarding the nice guy - at the end. (Stumbled upon searching for some inspiration to write a post on Nice guys finish last..)

Chicken Little said...

Dude. It would do us both well if you didn't go around airing stuff I say in post-prandial/pre-sleep bliss.
But. Glad we outgrew the asshole-phase, no?
Yay for the chinky/urdu-muslim nice guys! Touch wood.

Spica said...

@ Subash: Thanks. :-) And just visit the blogs on the blogroll, you'll get loads of perspectives!

@ Chicken: Very glad. And darling, I can't help it. You give good quotes. And long live indeed!

SSQuo said...

I got meself a nice guy, but he's got an attitude! :)

Well, I think that its very subjective, its also how the guy is toward the girl vs. the world. Someone can be the nicest person and even submissive in a relationship but quite different outsdie, and vice versa. I know what you mean though. Girls have this cruel attraction to bad guys! :)

Spica said...

SSQuo: Good for you! :-) All the best with the guy.

But you know, I think one needs to be careful around the guys who treat the girl differently and the rest of the world differently, because more often than not, that would be an indication of how the girl will be treated by the guy a year or two down he road!