Friday, July 03, 2009

Talking of Garden City..

Is it just me, or is Chennai really going green? There is a garden/park in every spare bit of land in the city. There is even a garden tucked into the Gemini flyover!! And Hadder's road has it's own petite garden - right next to the Oxford bookstore. And the garden at the end of Cenetoph's road - that's pretty too - overlooking the river and all. And as Mutt put it - Tiru.V.Ka park looks like a fairy land if you drive past it in the evening!! Do try to drive past it - even if you live on the other end of the city - it's totally worth it!

And apparently there is this huge 17 acre park coming up somewhere near the beach. And they're going to convert Woodlands drive in into a botanical garden as well!!

Not to mention the roads - GST as well as the first part of OMR are now a sight to behold! (I'm not gonna mention ECR, because the pretty parts start only after you leave Chennai). Oh and the tambaram bypass too - though, again, I dunno if you can call it Chennai!

I know we have miles to go, but not a bad start, eh? I'm so proud of our corporation. I mean, yeah, they do stupid things like put a flyover in Cenetoph's road (seriously, what's with that?!) and Sardar Patel road(which noone uses!), but then they also build something like the Kathipara junction (which I'm totally in love with, btw).

So now, it's singara chennai yet again! :-)

10 comments:

Vinod Pillai said...

I wish they had inspected the quality of Kathipara junction thoroughly though. Their only aim seemed to be to complete it before elections. It has started rutting in certain places. OMR, like you said is definitely a sight to behold. So is GST.

Roshan George said...

Good, teach those Woodlands people a lesson. They think they can do anything they want.

City looks pretty nice, but pavements are still one foot high. Stupid.

Spica said...

Vinod: I dunno about quality of bridge et al. It looks good - that's all I know. You, Mr.Big-shot-engineer prob know better! :-P

Roshan: You and your pavements!! I know you're gonna make your living there, but still - you complain too much!

Roshan George said...

I have to deal with them everyday when I park, Chitra. It's no laughing matter. To park close to the curb and not be able to open the door? Or to park a little way off and reduce road width? That is the question. Whether it's nobler in the mind to to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged motorists, or to risk harm to my car.

Vinod Pillai said...

What roshan says is true. Its impractical having those foot high pavements. I've thought the same thing many times. Its a pain to walk on as well. You have to get off the pavement and on again everytime there is an entrance to a house. Wish they would improve that.

Spica said...

You know what? The city coparation need not have a complaints page. I can just ask them to link it to my comments section!

Arulz said...

This post does not help my homesickness at all :(

TheMobilePhotog said...

that huge 17 acre park near beach is supposedly for cremating a certain thatha who rules the state.. :)
and abt the garden thing, i think they are doing an indirect rain dance :), theres no friggin water and no significant rain so far...
but still even w/o these chennai is Singaara chennai

Spica said...

Subash: I didn't know that! Lol..

PI said...

hmmm, sounds like a few steps taken in the right direction.