Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We are the Curies, powerful race!

Remember when you were in school, split into 5 (some schools had four) different houses. Remember how your activities revolved around your house - your favorite colour was (and in some cases, still is) your house colour (I have a senior who apparently colour coded her whole wedding to be green - green invites, green decor, green sari, etc.. - just because she was in the green house!), there was no one cooler than your house captain and prefect, winning the sports/dramatics cup was all that mattered!

In my school, the houses were named after famous women. I was in the Marie Curie house (I was a 'Curie', how cool is that?). We had, of course a house colour, a house slogan, a flag, a banner - you name it.

The slogan was a funny one. It went:

"Alpha, Beta, Gamma Rays
We are the Curies, powerful race"

How cool is that? Of course, i didn't really understand what it meant or the connection till I was in High school, but now that I think about it, whoever framed it was a genius!

And what is the point of this whole post?
Why, none as usual. DJ and I were talking about our schools yesterday, and turns out that everyone identifies people with their house. As in "Do you remember so-and-so? She was in Kellers(the red house - named after Helen Keller, of course!)". And the house(colour/name/symbol) always holds a special place!

So, I just thought I'll post about it since it's been long since I posted!

Until next time then.

11 comments:

Meghana Naidu said...

we had a 'larger than life' black board right in the front of the auditorium and points were recorded there, added for wins and deducted for tardiness etcetera very Hogwartsy!
those were the best!

i miss them so so much, id trade all the beer in the world just to go back to those days ;)

LOL@slogan
so science-chic! ;)

Roshan George said...

Ha ha, Keller house. Poor suckers.

Spica said...

Meghana: Isn't it? * grins * And yes, that does sound very Hogwartsy! Wish we had had that.. though I wonder how they'll manage to record everything!

Roshan: Dude, people from Kellers read my blog, ya know..

Anonymous said...

" alpha, beta , gammma .. " genius indeed

Vasu said...

I wish blogger had a 'like' button!!
This brings back so many memories :D

Spica said...

Loonville: Isn't it?? I wonder who thought of that!

Vasu: I know!!!!

ess said...

It's funny. People really do identify you by house, especially after you leave. And most shared memories are about who did what when before/on sports day!

And the slogan is "awww"some!

Spica said...

Ess: They used to do that even when we were in school! And isn't it? I wonder how I can find whoever made it up!

TheMobilePhotog said...

we had summer,winter,autumn,spring etc.. just got reminded of the rivalries and boo boys in sports meets :)

Roshan George said...

Some houses have a natural awesome-ness about them. Yellow houses, for instance. Others are all blah, green houses, for example.

Spica said...

Subash: That's nice set. Which were you? And what were the colours? I'm curious about what the colours could be.. I'd put winer as white (or since you can't have white as a house colour - light blue), spring as green, summer as yellow and autumn as red. Am I right?

Roshan: I couldn't agree more! Yellow rocks! \m/