Thursday, May 21, 2009

The 1st supper.

I cooked dinner last night. The whole of it. As in chapatti as well as curry. I know what you're thinking, but no, everyone at home is quite alright, thank you very much!

Last night was lesson no.1 in my mom's "teach daughter to be independent as far as food is concerned thingy".

Anyway, I made this very simple tomato curry thing whose recipe I'm gonna put up here for people who have only 15 mins to prepare themselves a nice meal.

So you cut up some tomatoes in small pieces and some onions - say about one onion and two tomatoes. Two green chillies are also cut up. (if you don't get green chillies, you might wanna use chilly powder. If you like spicy use more. Don't use less than two, it becomes too bland). Cut up some ginger also (again as much as you want for taste. I'd say some 10 small pieces (small being .5 cm sided cubes approx).

Next, you switch on the frying bowl and put in about 3-4 tea spoons on oil, and wait for 30 seconds. Then, you put in half a tea spoon of mustard and half a tea spoon of black gram dal(ulutham paruppu) and fry for 15-30 seconds. Then add the cut up onion, ginger and chilly and fry till the onion starts developing a tinge of brown. Just a tinge, mind you. And then add some salt. 3/4th - 1 teaspoon. Depends on you, actually.. Then add the tomato and fry for about 5-10 mins and voila, you have your tomato curry.

15 mins max. And you can garnish with coriander if you want, but if you're cooking for yourself, I'd say "don't bother". Unless of course you like coriander.

Oh, and I made chapattis as well. Not that that's new - been doing that since I was 'eah high.. but the mother seemed to have forgotten that. She bought me my own rolling in and rolling board when I was about 5 which she has no recollection of! Which was good in a way. She was all in raptures when she found out I could roll chapattis. Ah, whatever. These mothers, I tell you...!!

Oh, and tip: Once you roll said chapatti, fry it immediately, else they become dry and hard. At least cover it up.

Okay, enough cooking lessons for the day. And do not fear, this is not going to be a cooking blog, but since the mother is set on her "my-daughter-independent-blah", a few recipes might pop up every now and then. So be warned.

7 comments:

Roshan George said...

Neat, I've got to try this. *cue ominous music*

Here's another tip (I found this out myself!): Adding wine to everything doesn't make it taste better. Fried eggs, particularly.

Girl of Destiny said...

The minute I turn my back...!

Was it 'coz you did not want to play with the delicate gastric juices of a girl in my 'condition'?

Spica said...

RG: I could've told you that. Sans le lessons de cooking..

GoD: I would've fried it all in butter in your case! :-P

Abhi said...

Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

* speechless *

Arulz said...

That recipe is remarkably similar to my go-to recipe :) I used it a lot when I was doing my Masters... It was easier with canned cut tomatoes and frozen chopped onions (less tasty though) :D

Spica said...

Abhi: Umm.. Thanks.

Loonville: I don't trust you.

Arulz: Yeah, that is exactly why the mother taught me this, i suppose. Easy to make.